APS Support UK is a grant making charity recognised by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) as a non-commercial partner funding research of clear value to the NHS as a result of open competition with high quality peer review.
As a non-commercial partner of the NIHR, APS Support UK can fund studies that may be eligible to access NIHR Clinical Research Network (CRN) support. The NIHR Clinical Research Network (CRN) has extended support into health and social care research taking place in non-NHS settings.
APS Support UK is a small charity with limited resources. We concentrate specifically on antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) and do not have sufficient funds for large scale clinical trials or extensive basic research programmes.
Applications should not exceed £5,000 in value and will be considered for:
- Smaller pilot studies which will lead to applications to major funders for large-scale research trials
- Enabling grants for basic science support that would enable larger projects by providing essential data for large grant applications
- Support for organising medical meetings that would facilitate improvements to the understanding of the causes, prevention and treatment of APS, and its research (NB maximum grant £1000)
- Travel awards to enable scientists or clinicians in training to attend national or international meetings to present their own research. The maximum award will be £1000 and we will require a letter from the applicant’s supervisor confirming that they are in training, and proof that their research has been accepted for presentation
- Undergraduate BSc studentships grants over the summer period
APS Support UK is willing to work collaboratively with other charities where research interests overlap.
Our memorial fundraising sub-committee, the Louise Gergel Fellowship may be able to provide additional funding if a very worthwhile project exceeds the limit of £5,000. Please contact us for further information and our trustees will consider your application.
In order that all grant applications made to APS Support UK are properly assessed, the Trustees have established a Peer Review Panel. The panel, chaired by Professor Hannah Cohen from University College London, meet once a year to advise the Trustees on suitability of applications for funding by APS Support UK.
Applications for funding are peer reviewed once a year in the spring with the final decision being advised during June/July.
The closing date for applications is 15th April 2020.
PLEASE NOTE: We understand that the medical community has been under incredible strain due to the COVID-19 outbreak, so we ae extending our deadline to 15th JUNE 2020.
The APS Support UK Grant Application Form along with the Conditions of Grant can be downloaded from this page.
One original signed copy should be submitted, by post, to APS Support UK, The Orchard, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG21 4AF, and a PDF copy emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.